Just in time for summer, I whipped up a fun, new meal. This salad is so amazingly refreshing and easy – all the qualities I look for in summer cooking. You’ll want to make this over and over again!
I made this before a Memorial Day barbeque yesterday in less than 10 minutes. I had no idea how obsessed I would be! The creamy citrus-avocado dressing is such a perfect balance to the berries and kale.
For the salad:
- organic kale, chopped
- 1 organic cucumber
- 1 shallot
- 1/2 cup organic blueberries
- 1-2 handful of sliced, blanched almonds
- 1 cup sliced red cabbage
For the dressing:
- 1 organic lemon
- 1 avocado
- 1 Tbsp organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp avocado oil (or olive oil)
- dash pepper, salt
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel off cucumber skin.
- Place cucumber on a cutting board, and slice in half (long ways).
- Place each half of the cucumber parallel to each other, and slice in half (long ways) again.
- Chop all 4 cucumber slivers into bite-size pieces.
- Place cucumbers in a large bowl.
- Take about 3-4 handfuls of washed blueberries (about 1/2 cup) and mix in with cucumbers.
- Add chopped kale, chopped shallots, sliced red cabbage.
- In a food processor, squeeze out 1 lemon. Scoop out 1 whole avocado, 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, and about 1 tsp of avocado (or olive) oil. Pulse until creamy and smooth.
- Pour dressing over the salad. Add about 1-2 handfuls of sliced, blanched almonds.
- Dig in your hands, massaging the dressing into the whole salad.
- Serve immediately!